How to Find Government Contracts

If your business belongs among the suppliers, doing business with the government can be lucrative. However, you need to understand the goods and services the government purchases and compare it with what your business sells. If your business sells goods or services that the government does not purchase, the time is not worth it.

But if you have what the government needs, then grab the opportunity and follow these suggestions.

Search for your business’ standard industry number – Before searching for potential government deals, look for the North American Industry Classification number of your particular industry by visiting Knowing the NAICS number makes researching for government contracts effortless.

Look for potential deals – With the NAICS number in hand, you can now use that code in to find federal government solicitations for your industry.

Be familiar with the law – Dealing with the government follows a procurement process as stated in the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR). Be sure to familiarize yourself with the regulations that apply to your goods or services.

Seek advice – Contact your local Procurement Technical Assistance Center, which is funded by the US Department of Defense so most of their assistance is free. PTAC provides assistance to businesses in marketing products and services to the Federal, state, and local governments.

This includes preparing and submitting of applications, certifications, and registrations. It also offers free automate bid matching service and sends your e-mail notification on government solicitations available. To look for your local PTAC center, go to

Get your DUNS Number – The Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number is a unique nine-character identification number provided by Dun and Bradstreet (D&B). This code is site-specific and division specific, making each physical location of your business-and even separate divisions of your business-will have its own DUNS Number. You can get your DUNS Number online through However, it is faster if you call 1-866-705-5711.

Get certified – If you plan to use your company status as small, small disadvantaged, women-owner, veteran-owned or HUBZone business, you need to certify with the government.

First, check out to learn more about small business size standards. Once you are qualified as a small business, it will certify during your registration for Central Contractor Registration (CCR) through Getting certified under these standards have its advantages.

Get on the GSA Schedule list – The United States General Services Administration is the federal government’s acquisition agency whose mission is to help other government agencies find their needs for products and services. The list can be found here:

Your business can be a part of it even without an awarded contract. Being part of that list means you have an unfunded five-year contract with the government. This also makes your business an approved supplier and gives a better chance of an awarded contract. However, being part of that list takes a lot of effort.

For one, you have to meet a minimum annual schedule sales of $25000, your are at risk of having that contract terminated. Also, you are required a past performance report with 6 minimum and 20 maximum referrals and submit these referrals to or through 1-727-329-1184. This report costs $125.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.